After North America and Europe, mobile marketing is gaining hype in India and other Asian countries. While this new technique of marketing is being praised by many, a considerable number of consumers are quite nervous about it. According to the findings of a survey conducted recently by University of California, 79% customers were against mobile payments that is an important component of mobile marketing. Further, out of the remaining 21% – 17% said that they will not allow such marketing idea at all! Overall, 81% of them objected to the feature of phone-number sharing!
While these figures were shocking, it kicked another research to find out why consumers are apprehensive to opt-in in to obtaining mobile marketing ads and messages from brands. This research was formally conducted by Internet Advertising Bureau and Direct Marketing Association recently. Listed below are some of the reasons found during different researches on why customers are apprehensive about mobile marketing.
Lack of Awareness
When it comes to mobile marketing, more than 30% customers are unaware of this service, its features, and its benefits as well. It is normal when people are unaware of a service, they will hesitate in using it. Therefore, Internet Advertising Bureau and Direct Marketing Association suggest publicizing the new service via the prevalent relationships to greet new consumers.
The Thought of Privacy at Risk
In general, the customers are very mindful when it comes to sharing personal information. That is why, in the survey, 81% did not want to share their phone number, while 64% of surveyed 7customers did not prefer opting for SMS or MMS, as they were of the opinion that they might have to share personal details. So, the companies need to communicate clearly that their consumers’ privacy will be 100% protected, and that they will always seek permission before sharing personal details with anybody else.
A recent survey by Affinion covering 1,000 UK consumers found that 60% respondents do not prefer using mobile phone when it comes to shopping. Furthermore, 26% consumers feared credit card crime on their mobiles, which is double the ones who fear the same on using a PC.
Lack of Relevance
It is common sense that to make customers accept the mobile messages, they must be relevant. However, what happens is exactly the opposite: 71% customers obtain unwanted opt-in messages from companies. This is the main reason why customers hate or do not prefer getting SMSs on their mobile phones. As a result, it is the responsibility of the brands to let their customers know about the type of messages or ads that they will be receiving. Further, they should give them the full freedom of accepting or rejecting it via a transparent activation and retention utility.
The Possibility of Scams
This is another major fear of the customers not only in America and Europe but also in Asia and other continents. Whenever it is the matter of digital marketing, the possibility of scams and frauds have always made the customers reluctant! That is why the genuine brands must implement some ways that can convince the customers. For example, some live testimonials or payment after delivery can be some good ways to do so!
In short, some genuine trials can convert these reluctant or worried customers into confident and willing ones!